Why do I eat when I’m not hungry?
Sometimes those tummy grumbles may be caused by something other than the need to chow down. Pay attention to your body’s signals and follow these tips to determine if you’re experiencing real hunger.
1. Drink water first. A good hunger test is to drink a glass of water and wait 15 minutes before chowing down. If hunger pains persist after that time, go ahead and eat.
2. Make sure you’re eating the right things. If you don’t include adequate amounts of carbohydrates, fiber and protein in your meal, your blood sugar will drop causing you to reach for more grub. Try foods like fresh fruits, cottage cheese and nuts.
3. Get enough sleep. According to research, lack of sleep can increase appetite, hunger and food intake. Catch 7-8 zzz’s a night to ovoid overeating.
4. De-stress. Stress can cause us to reach for the cookie jar as a way to comfort. Try some other ways to calm the mind like breathing exercises, taking a walk, or my favorite guilty pleasure, reading a juicy gossip mag 🙂
5. Slow Down. It takes about 20 minutes to actually feel full after eating, so take the time to savor your meal and evaluate your hunger level afterward to see if dessert will push you over that too-full limit.
Ashleigh Gurtler, Holistic Heath Counselor, FitEngine health advisor and reporter
Click here for more information about Ashleigh and Holistic Health Counseling